Dr. Scott Ball
|Dr. Scott Ball
Assistant Clinical Professor
Clinical Specialty & Interests
- Total Hip Replacement
- Hip Resurfacing
- Total Knee Replacement
- Computer Assisted Navigation
- Arthroscopy / Cartilage Resurfacing
- Revision Hip & Knee Replacement
Education & Training
- 2005-2006, Fellow, Adult Reconstruction, Orthopaedic Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
- 2001-2005, Resident, U.C. San Diego, Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2000, Research Fellow, U.C. San Diego, Dept of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 1999, Internship, University of California, San Diego
- 1995-1999, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA
- 1988-1992, University of California, Santa Barbara
Honors & Awards
- June Marshall Award for Clinical Research, Orthopaedic Hospital, June 2006.
- J. Leonard Goldner Award, Best Basic Science Paper, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society Meeting, July 2005.
- Co-author, OREF Award, California Orthopaedic Association, May 2003
- DePuy Orthopaedic Research Award, California Orthopaedic Association, May 2003
- Vernon P. Thompson Award, Western Orthopaedic Association, August 2002
- Best Basic Science Paper Award, Societe Francaise d’Arthroscopie at La Beaule, France, December 6-8, 2001
- Graduated Cum Laude, Jefferson Medical College
- National Pathology Honor Society
- Hobart Amory Hare Medical Honor Society
- Ball ST, LeDuff MJ, Amstutz HC: Conversion of Failed Resurfacing Arthroplasty of the Hip. Accepted with revisions. J Bone and Joint Surg – American. 2006.
- Ball ST, In Y, Mahoney OM, Schmalzried TP: Fixed vs. Rotating Platform Knee Replacement. A prospective, randomized study. Submitted to J Bone and Joint Surg – American. May 2006.
- Amstutz HC, Ball ST, LeDuff MJ, Dorey F: Hip Resurfacing for Patients under 50 years of age. Results of 350 ConserveÒ Plus With a 2-9 Year Follow-up. Accepted with revisions. Clin Orthop Rel Research. 2006.
- Bitsch R, Ball ST, Moreland J, Schmalzried TP: Reduction of Osteolysis with Crosslinked Polyethylene at Five Years. Submitted to J Bone and Joint Surg – American. June 2006.
- Ball ST, Schwartz AK, Brage ME. Severe Bilateral Foot and Ankle Injuries in Motocross Riders. Submitted to Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, September 2006.
- Ball ST, Jadin KD, Allen RT, Schwartz AK, Sah RL, Brage ME: Chondrocyte viability after intra-articular calcaneus fractures in humans. Accepted by Foot and Ankle International, August 2006.
- Ball ST, Amiel, D, Williams SK, Tontz W, Chen AC, Sah RL, Amiel D, Bugbee WD. The Effects of Storage on Fresh Human Osteochondral Allografts. Clin Orthop 418:246-252, 2004.
- Tis JE, Ball ST, Chambers H. Transtalar Drilling of Osteochondral Lesions of the Talus in Children and Adolescents. Techniques in Foot and Ankle Surgery, March 2004.
- Ball ST, Goomer RS, Ostrander R, Tontz W, Williams SK, Amiel D. Pre-Incubation of Perichondrial Cells in a Polylactic Acid Scaffold Enhances Donor Cell Retention. Clin Orthop 420: 276-285, March 2004.
- Amiel D, Ball ST, Tasto J: Chondrocyte Viability and Metabolic Activity after Treatment of Bovine Articular Cartilage with Bipolar Radiofrequency: An In Vitro Study. Arthroscopy 20(5):503-510, 2004.
- Lane JG, Massie JB, Ball ST, Amiel ME, Chen AC, Bae WC, Sah RL and Amiel D: Followup of Osteochondral Plug Transfers in a Goat Model. American Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol 32, No. 6. 1440-1450. 2004.
- Williams SK, Amiel D, Ball ST, Allen RT, Wong VW, Chen A, Sah RL, Bugbee WD: Prolonged Storage Effects on the Articular Cartilage of Fresh Human Osteochondral Allografts. J Bone Joint Surg 85:2111-2120, 2003.
- Brage ME, Ball ST: Surgical options for salvage of end-stage hallux rigidus. Foot and Ankle Clinics of North America, Volume 7, 2002.
- Lane JG, Tontz WL, Ball ST, Massie JB, Chen A, Bae WB, Amiel M, Sah R, Amiel D. A Morphologic, Biochemical, and biomechanical assessment of Short-Term Effects of Osteochondral Autograft Plug Transfer in an Animal Model. Arthroscopy. 17(8):856-63. 2001.
- Ball ST, Vaccaro AR, Albert TJ, Cotler JM. Injuries of the Thoracolumbar Spine Associated with Restraint Use in Head-on Motor Vehicle Accidents. J Spinal Disord. 13(4):297-304, 2000.
- Vaccaro AR, Ball, ST: Indications for Instrumentation in Degenerative Lumbar Spinal Disorders. Orthopedics. 23(3):260-71; CME quiz 272-3, 2000.
- Ball ST, Vaccaro AR, Klein GR, Albert TJ, Cotler JM. Combined Anterior and Posterior Surgery for Fractures of the Thoracolumbar Spine. Jefferson Orthopaedic Journal. 1998.
For more detailed information on hip resurfacing go to www.hipresurfacingsite.com